Press Release: Chris Mealin’s career moves up the grid

A YOUNG Manx racer’s career has moved up the grid with the announcement he has signed a contract to compete in Formula Ford this year.

Chris Mealin, 20, will be one of four drivers driving with Falcon Motorsport for the coming season, including last year’s Formula Ford Scholarship winner Scott Harrison.

Ford-04 FalconIt is a big boost for Chris to be racing alongside him in the Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship.

Chris comes to Formula Ford having racked up considerable experience in karting, in which he started competing on the Isle of Man at the age of 13. He passed his circuit-racing ARDS test in 2012 and has since contested rounds of the 750MC’s Saxo series and last year also took part in the V8 Supercup Dutch oval racing.

During 2013, he tested a Formula Ford at most UK circuits.

His ultimate ambition is to make it all the way to F1.

Chris said: ‘Really single-seaters have always been in my heart but I didn’t have a way into it before.

‘Things got rolling last year and I first tried the Formula Ford at the Sampler Day in November and then I went down to Spain with Falcon for an extended test and that went really well.

‘I love the car and can’t wait to get back in it – the speed when the turbo kicks in is just unbelievable. I have a lot to learn about racing, and I’m very happy to be in a team with a second-year driver like Harrison, from whom I can learn.’

Falcon principal Nick Streatfield said: ‘Chris will be an asset to the team. He tested with us in Spain in December and settled into the team very quickly and went extremely well. We are looking forward to working with him.’

Formula Ford Championship manager Sam Roach said: ‘Falcon Motorsport and Harrison Scott made a big impression on the championship in their maiden season of EcoBoost racing, and I am sure that they will be among the combinations to beat.

‘Chris Mealin will be an asset to the championship as well, and the news that Falcon is planning a four-car team is a welcome boost this early in the pre-season. All the signs are that grid numbers will be improved for the coming season and the competition no less intense.’

The Formula Ford EcoBoost Championship 2014 gets underway at Brands Hatch on March 30 and will feature 30 races at 10 rounds alongside the biggest attraction in UK motorsport: the British Touring Car Championship. The championship will boast live coverage on ITV4, as well as bumper trackside spectator attendance, and boasts a £30,000 cash prize fund.

Last year, Chris was in with a strong chance of winning the Rookie of the Year title in the Late Model V8 Supercup going into the final race of the season at Raceway Venray in the Netherlands, but mechanical problems denied him the championship.

Keep up to date with Chris’s exploits here:

chrismealinracing.co.uk

facebook.com/ChrisMealinRacing

Twitter – @ChrisMealin

Follow Paul on Twitter: @Norbertsdad

Back to Paul Speller Media news page.

Advertisements

About Paul Speller

Writer, journalist, husband, dad.
Gallery | This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s